- Asian stock markets: Nikkei up 0.35 %, Shanghai Composite gained 0.30 %, Hang Seng rose 0.60 %, ASX 200 rallied 0.65 %
- Commodities: Gold at $1265 (-0.10 %), Silver at $17.66 (+0.05 %), WTI Oil at $49.45 (-0.20 %), Brent Oil at $52.50 (-0.20 %)
- Rates: US 10 year yield at 2.34, UK 10 year yield at 1.09, German 10 year yield at 0.39
News & Data:
- Australia CPI (YoY) (Q1): 2.10% (est 2.20%, prev 1.50%)
- Australia CPI (QoQ) (Q1): 0.50% (est 0.60%, prev 0.50%)
- Australia CPI Trimmed Mean (YoY) (Q1): 1.90% (est 1.80%, prev 1.60%)
- Australia CPI Trimmed Mean (QoQ) (Q1): 0.50% (est 0.50%, prev 0.40%)
- Australia CPI Weighted Median (YoY) (Q1): 1.70% (est 1.80%, prev 1.50%)
- Australia CPI Weighted Median (QoQ) (Q1): 0.40% (est 0.50%, prev 0.40%)
- Australia ANZ Roy Morgan Weekly Consumer Confidence Index (23/Apr): 111.2 (prev 112.6)
- Australia Skilled Vacancies (MoM) (Mar): -0.60% (prev 0.10%)
- Asian stocks hover near two-year highs on U.S. optimism, euro steady – RTRS
- Nasdaq tops 6,000 as earnings boost Wall St; U.S. tax code eyed – RTRS
The Australian Dollar came under pressure following weaker than expected inflation data. The headline CPI figure arrived at 2.10 % y/y, slightly below the forecast. AUD/USD fell from 0.7545 to 0.7505. The technical outlook for the currency pair is rather poor as well. Should it break below 0.7480 support, it is likely to reach 0.73 quite soon.
The Canadian Dollar has received plenty of attention in the past two trading days. Announcements about US tariffs on Canadian products and a decline in Oil prices led to a decline of the currency. USD/CAD broke through 1.36 yesterday and rallied to 1.3625. While the pair retraced somewhat in Asia, it will likely remain bid, and further gains seem likely.
USD/JPY was boosted by the rally in equity markets. The break above 110.50 resistance suggests that the pair will test 112 resistance soon. Meanwhile, the Euro and Pound are consolidating. Traders are now looking forward to tomorrow’s ECB rate decision.
- 13:30 GMT – Canadian Retail Sales
- 15:30 GMT – US Crude Oil Inventories