- Asian Stock Markets : Nikkei up 0.01%, Shanghai Composite up 1.49%, Hang Seng up 0.37%, ASX up 0.03%
- Commodities : Gold at $1787.75 (+0.42%), Silver at $26.14 (+0.13%), Brent Oil at $66.72 (-0.07%), WTI Oil at $63.17 (-0.03%)
- Rates : US 10-year yield at 1.562, UK 10-year yield at 0.750, Germany 10-year yield at -0.270
News & Data:
- (USD) Prelim UoM Inflation Expectations 3.70% vs 3.10% previous
- (USD) Prelim UoM Consumer Sentiment 86.5 vs 88.9 expected
- (USD) Housing Starts 1.74M vs 1.60M expected
- (USD) Building Permits 1.77M vs 1.75M expected
- (CAD) Wholesale Sales m/m -0.70% vs -0.50% expected
- (CAD) Foreign Securities Purchases 8.52B vs 6.05B expected
CFTC Positioning Data:
- EUR long 67K vs 68K long last week. Longs trimmed by 1K
- GBP long 26K vs 20K long last week. Longs increase by 6K
- JPY short 58K vs 58K short last week. Unchanged.
- CHF long 1K vs 3K long last week. Longs trimmed by 2K
- AUD long 4K vs 4K long last week. Unchanged.
- NZD long 3K vs 3K long last week. Unchanged
- CAD long 2K vs 3K long last week. Longs trimmed by 1K.
Asian stocks ended mostly higher on Monday as positive earnings updates and upbeat economic data from the United States boosted optimism about a solid global economic recovery.
The Nikkei 225 in Japan closed little changed while the Topix index dipped 0.2%. South Korea’s Kospi closed largely flat while the S&P/ASX 200 in Australia rose fractionally to finish the trading day.
Mainland Chinese stocks led gains among the region’s major markets, with the Shanghai composite up 1.5% on the day while the Shenzhen component surged 2.9%.
Treasury yields steadied well below recent peaks in U.S. trade, after U.S. equity futures fell after stocks ended the previous week at a record high. In cryptocurrencies, bitcoin fell to its lowest level since February over the weekend, after reaching a record during the previous week after cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase Global Inc listed on Nasdaq.
Tuesday, April 20, 2021
- 10:45 PM GMT – (NZD) CPI q/q
Wednesday, April 21, 2021
- 01:30 AM GMT – (AUD) Retail Sales m/m
- 06:00 AM GMT – (GBP) CPI y/y
- 10:30 AM GMT – (GBP) BOE Gov Bailey Speaks
- 12:30 PM GMT – (CAD) CPI m/m
- 02:00 PM GMT – (CAD) BOC Monetary Policy Report
- 02:00 PM GMT – (CAD) BOC Rate Statement
- 02:00 PM GMT – (CAD) Overnight Rate
- 02:30 PM GMT – (USD) Crude Oil Inventories
- 03:00 PM GMT – (CAD) BOC Press Conference
Thursday, April 22, 2021
- 11:45 AM GMT – (EUR) Monetary Policy Statement
- 11:45 AM GMT – (EUR) Main Refinancing Rate
- 12:30 PM GMT – (EUR) ECB Press Conference
- 12:30 PM GMT – (USD) Unemployment Claims
Friday, April 23, 2021
- 06:00 AM GMT – (GBP) Retail Sales m/m
- 07:15 AM GMT – (EUR) French Flash Services PMI
- 07:15 AM GMT – (EUR) French Flash Manufacturing PMI
- 07:30 AM GMT – (EUR) German Flash Manufacturing PMI
- 07:30 AM GMT – (EUR) German Flash Services PMI
- 08:00 AM GMT – (EUR) Flash Manufacturing PMI
- 08:00 AM GMT – (EUR) Flash Services PMI
- 08:30 AM GMT – (GBP) Flash Manufacturing PMI
- 08:30 AM GMT – (GBP) Flash Services PMI
- 01:45 PM GMT – (USD) Flash Manufacturing PMI